07 November 2010
CCleaner has been around for more than seven years now and it firmly established itself as one of the best cleaning tools for Windows PCs. Piriform set the standards very high, but each new release succeeded in outstripping the previous version while delivering brand new features.
The latest version has just been released and CCleaner v3.0 stays true to its name, providing the public with the same quality product, simple interface and of course it comes for free. Since it is meant as a big step forward it includes a multitude of features and changes without cutting down on the ones that made it so popular.
CCleaner helps users get rid off temporary and unwanted files left by different programs and internet browsers: cookies, memory dumps, file fragments, log files, system caches, browsing history and more. Furthermore, it includes a registry cleaner, fixing problems in Windows Registry, including unused registration entries and missing references.
Simply press the “Analyze” button for the program to start scanning and once it detects the junk files, press the “Run Cleaner” button to seal the deal. Just make sure you are absolutely sure about deleting these items cause there is no way to restore them. In addition one can use CCleaner to uninstall programs, disable start-up programs and to delete system restore points.
The latest version includes a new 64-bit native EXE designed specifically for 64-bit systems, improved support for Internet Explorer 9 and the Google Chrome browsers, additional cleaning support for Microsoft Silverlight Isolated Storage, new intelligent cookie keeping feature and more. A cool addition is the new Drive Wiper tool screen which allows users to securely erase the contents or free space on a specified drive.
Pluses: Simple yet comprehensive, constantly updated to satisfy every need, highly customizable and of course free.
Drawbacks / flaws:
In conclusion: I would recommend this product even if was a shareware, as it can satisfy even the most savvy consumers. As a free program, CCleaner is nothing short of a miracle and a shining example of how quality prevails over the years, Piriform’s latest release being a market-leading cleaning tool for almost a decade.
version reviewed: 220.127.116.113
CCleaner Publisher's Description
CCleaner is a freeware system optimization and privacy tool. It removes unused files from your system - allowing Windows to run faster and freeing up valuable hard disk space. It also cleans traces of your online activities such as your Internet history. But the best part is that it's fast (normally taking less that a second to run) and FREE! :)
Cleans the following:
* Internet Explorer: Temporary files, URL history, cookies, Autocomplete form history, index.dat.
* Firefox: Temporary files, URL history, cookies, download history.
* Opera: Temporary files, URL history, cookies.
* Windows: Recycle Bin, Recent Documents, Temporary files and Log files.
* Registry cleaner: Advanced features to remove unused and old entries, including File Extensions, ActiveX Controls, ClassIDs, ProgIDs, Uninstallers, Shared DLLs, Fonts, Help Files, Application Paths, Icons, Invalid Shortcuts and more... also comes with a comprehensive backup feature.
* Third-party applications: Removes temp files and recent file lists (MRUs) from many apps including Media Player, eMule, Kazaa, Google Toolbar, Netscape, MS Office, Nero, Adobe Acrobat, WinRAR, WinAce, WinZip and many more...
* 100% Spyware FREE: This software does NOT contain any Spyware, Adware or Viruses.
What's New in version 2.14.763:
* Fixed minor bug in Firefox 2 cookies support.
What's New in version 2.14.750:
* Added support for Windows 7.
* Improved Google Chrome support (build 0.4).
* Opera cookie management added.
* Improved Recycle Bin cleaning.
* Added a warning when cleaning Google Chrome and it's running.
* Search Autocomplete cleaning now XP only.
* Improve file association Registry Cleaning.
* Fixed bug with context menus and excessive CPU usage.
* Fixed GUI colors on high contrast themes.
* Minor GUI bugs fixed.
* Minor performance improvements.